Observera

Du är inte inloggad och är påväg att skapa ett gästinlägg. Gästinlägg måste godkännas av forumledningen innan de visas på forumet. Detta kan dröja upp till en dag. Klicka här för att Logga in eller Bli medlem

Observera

Du läser en tråd som är taggad med Labmaster. Detta är en föråldrad och felkonstruerad apparat som inte ger ren sprit. Om du planerar ett nybygge se till att inte bygga en labmaster. Läs mer i dessa trådar Destillationsteori och teknik och Kolonnbrännartyper

Making Whiskey, short description of precedure and gear

Allt om whiskey/whisky
Användarvisningsbild
rkr
Bryggmästare

Inlägg av rkr »

ulve skrev:rkr:
rkr skrev:Are you talking about the yeasts ability to convert only part of the sugar to alcohol or alcohol yield from sugar by using certain yeast?
First of all I’m talking about the mash efficiency where conversion of the starch and collection of the sugars in the malted grains occur. Using well modified grains the typical home brewer seems to be able to achieve a mash efficiency of around 70% commercial brewers of course push this number quite a bit higher but the grain bill is usually not the problem for home brewers. To make a wort with an OG of 1.050 I have to use about 6 kg of grain (ok all is not well modified but the the lions share is). I’m also talking about the apparent attenuation of the particular yeast strain. Beer yeasts seems to have an apparent attenuation in the range from 65% to 85% which leaves quite a lot of residual sugars that gives the beer part of it’s flavour.

For example, I made a brown ale using 4 kg of pale ale 1.8 kg of Munich and 0.2 kg of special malts (chocolate and crystal) this gave produced a wort with a OG of 1.052. That particular time I might not have mashed the grains at peak performance but not all that bad. I used a yeast labelled with the apparent attenuation of 73%-77% (Wyeast German Ale) and the FG after two weeks of fermentation was 1.014 giving an alcohol content of 5.0 %. I also looked at some recipes for strong Scotch ale and the seem to use about 8.5 kg of grain in order to get 25 litres at 7 % all having an OG of around 1.070.

I’m not in to distilling my own whisky but I’m curious. Why settle for a “beer” with “only” 7.0% alcohol? Strong Scotch ales often have alcohol contents exceeding 8% and there seems to be no problem brewing those beers. Any particular reason?
Good to find someone who knows the all malt brewing stuff. Well, I'm basing the 5kg amount to the information retrieved from John Palmer's How To Brew and whiskey recipes at Tony's website (http://arkiv.bryggforum.nu/homedistiller). As an example a bitter with 1.045 OG (5gallons) requires 7lbs of 2 row malt and 0.5 lbs of 60% caramel malt. The caramel malt in this recipe contributes very little fermentable sugars, so to scale this to 6 gals we get 8.4 lbs which is ~4.2kg. To up the OG to 1.050 or above takes ~5kg malt. If there's aproblem with this calculation feel free to point it out.

Now the reason for lowish OG is in production of higher and lower boiling point alcohols. If the mash contains a lot of alcohol at the end of the fermenting the yeast will produce more non ethanol alcohols and also lots of other congeners some of which give unpleasant taste to whiskey. OGs of 1.070-1.080 can be used (Ian Smiley uses these in his corn whiskey book), but the higher the alcohol content at the end of fermentation the more impurities the yeast produces. There are other reasons as well (time to ferment in industrial production, risk of bacterial infections etc.), but for homedistiller the quality of whiskey is probably the main reason to use moderate OGs.

Personally I find it a bit hard to mash more than 5kg at the time while I have only 25l picnic cooler, there is very little room for more. I might actually try lautered mash next time I make whiskey. It's allways refreshing to try new approaches.

Greetz, Riku
Användarvisningsbild
rkr
Bryggmästare

Inlägg av rkr »

Harry's guide to fruit brandies, can be applied in whiskey production as well:
https://arkiv.bryggforum.nu/yahoo/distillers/ ... 5271#25271

Greetz, Riku
Användarvisningsbild
ulve
Turbojäsare

Inlägg av ulve »

No I find no problems with your OG calculatoins I just think ~7% is a bit high from a 1.050 mash. According to Palmer 2/3 to 3/4 of the OG are converted to alchol. That means that the FG will be in the area around 1.010-1.015. That in turn means that the final beer will have an alcohol content of (in the case of af FG of 1.040) 40/7,5 ~= 5,3% (In Palmer chapter 9.4 of How to Brew his table states an ABV of 5.1% the method of dividing the fermented gravity by 7.5 seems to be the most popular). In order to get 7% you need to ferment your 1.050 wort below 1.000 and I have never seen this done by using ale yeast.

I might however have misunderstood your example. But if you are planning to make your mash all grain the cost of the grain is not that high so arguing about a coupe of kg are just silly :)
Användarvisningsbild
rkr
Bryggmästare

Inlägg av rkr »

ulve skrev:No I find no problems with your OG calculatoins I just think ~7% is a bit high from a 1.050 mash. According to Palmer 2/3 to 3/4 of the OG are converted to alchol. That means that the FG will be in the area around 1.010-1.015. That in turn means that the final beer will have an alcohol content of (in the case of af FG of 1.040) 40/7,5 ~= 5,3% (In Palmer chapter 9.4 of How to Brew his table states an ABV of 5.1% the method of dividing the fermented gravity by 7.5 seems to be the most popular). In order to get 7% you need to ferment your 1.050 wort below 1.000 and I have never seen this done by using ale yeast.

I might however have misunderstood your example. But if you are planning to make your mash all grain the cost of the grain is not that high so arguing about a coupe of kg are just silly :)
Well, right you are. The FG is indeed a question mark. I haven't taken carefull measurements with my mashes lately (hard to do with grains in the mash anyway) and it could very well be that my FGs are high. I may have to do some research on this. My beer mashes usually ferment to ~1.000, but then again I usually make only ~4% stuff. Now I guess I'll just have to build that all grains mashing system and try it with ale yeast and bakers yeast to see how it goes :D

Greetz, Riku
Användarvisningsbild
raptgbil915

Inlägg av raptgbil915 »

:D det e skönt att jag har fått tillbaks suget för att göra sprit igen så jag
blandar mig in i detta med en liten fråga vad tror ni om att bygga en
spiralbrännare på ett 200 liters fat så att man får ut lite grann
då mäsken blir så lite procent på
frågan e då hur många watt bör man värma med ?
någon som mältat kornet själv skulle vara inressant då priset på spannmål är obefintligt?

8) nu är det bara att spika ihop tunnorna eken ligger snart på sågen
Användarvisningsbild
fbuddy
Färsk jäst

Inlägg av fbuddy »

Det var ett tag sedan det rörde på sig i den här sticky'n, men som nykomling kan man kanske få komma med en fråga i ämnet?

Användes enbart öljäst i denna process?, altså ingen tillsats av extra socker och någon form av turbojäst?

Går det att köra mäsken 2 ggr i "plastisen" och på så sätt få fram en 35-45% dryck,(med eller utan turbo) ?

Annars tack för ett fint forum... :D
Användarvisningsbild
rkr
Bryggmästare

Inlägg av rkr »

fbuddy skrev:Det var ett tag sedan det rörde på sig i den här sticky'n, men som nykomling kan man kanske få komma med en fråga i ämnet?

Användes enbart öljäst i denna process?, altså ingen tillsats av extra socker och någon form av turbojäst?

Går det att köra mäsken 2 ggr i "plastisen" och på så sätt få fram en 35-45% dryck,(med eller utan turbo) ?

Annars tack för ett fint forum... :D
Ale yeast is preferred, but some distilleries use bakers yeast also. The important thing is that the yeast is cultivated in malt base. No added sugar or turbo yeasts. You can make neutral alcohol separately for blending.

You can run the mash twice in an "amazing still", although it would be better to use bucket-on-top-of-the-bucket type version as it gives higher% and allows cuts to be made.

- Riku
Användarvisningsbild
Hojjt
Bryggmästare

Inlägg av Hojjt »

Följer inte lite plastsmak med om man destillerar whiskyn i plastbrännaren?
Användarvisningsbild
fbuddy
Färsk jäst

Inlägg av fbuddy »

Hojjt skrev:Följer inte lite plastsmak med om man destillerar whiskyn i plastbrännaren?
Bör väl inte skilja på whisky och annat destillat, typ vanlig mäsk.
Användarvisningsbild
fbuddy
Färsk jäst

Inlägg av fbuddy »

rkr skrev:You can run the mash twice in an "amazing still", although it would be better to use bucket-on-top-of-the-bucket type version as it gives higher% and allows cuts to be made.

- Riku
Med bucket-on-top-of-the-bucket type version ,menar du en low cost still av den sorten du har beskrivit (med kopparspiral)?

Och hur bra är den speciella whisky-jästen som Gert S tagit fram ?
Användarvisningsbild
Hojjt
Bryggmästare

Inlägg av Hojjt »

Jag tror Riku menar plastisen med två hinkar!
En med mäsk och den andra ovanpå som ångan kondenseras i!
Tror de kallas för 25L plastbrännare!

Finns säkert trådar att söka på!

För övrigt så går dessa whiskymäskar att jäsa på Tp48, tog en halv i varje sats och det funkade bra!

Lautered mash ? Hur går det till?
Användarvisningsbild
rkr
Bryggmästare

Inlägg av rkr »

Hojjt skrev:Jag tror Riku menar plastisen med två hinkar!
En med mäsk och den andra ovanpå som ångan kondenseras i!
Tror de kallas för 25L plastbrännare!

Finns säkert trådar att söka på!

För övrigt så går dessa whiskymäskar att jäsa på Tp48, tog en halv i varje sats och det funkade bra!

Lautered mash ? Hur går det till?
Yep, 25 liters version is what I meant. It's way more handy than the 10 liters version, just swap the lid to fermenter and plug the heater in.

Lautered mash, see www.howtobrew.com. I'll also have detailed instructions on my new book if it ever comes out.

- Riku
Användarvisningsbild
fbuddy
Färsk jäst

Inlägg av fbuddy »

Okej, då ska vi se om jag förstått nåt!

ni menar att istället för en vanlig 10L i en 25L plastis så kör man doppvärmaren direkt i 25 liter färdigjäst ölmäsk och för över ångorna via tex en kopparspiral till en ny behållare, och sen är drickat starkt och klart för lagring :?:

hoppas att min okunskap inte e alltför stor :oops:

Blir mäsken och därmed drickat starkare med turbo?
Användarvisningsbild
Hojjt
Bryggmästare

Inlägg av Hojjt »

Man har en 25L hink med mäsk och värmare i och sen moterar man en 25L hink ovanpå denna och använder som kondenseringskärl för sprit ångorna!

Dessa hinkar är samman kopplade via två rör, ett grovt ca 4" och ett smalare. Det grova röret stiger ångorna i , upp till kondenseringskärlet och kondenseras till etanol.
Det smalare röret används för att få cirkulation på ångorna. Varmånga stiger upp i det grova och svalare ånga går tillbaka ner genom det smala!
Användarvisningsbild
rkr
Bryggmästare

Inlägg av rkr »

fbuddy skrev:Okej, då ska vi se om jag förstått nåt!

ni menar att istället för en vanlig 10L i en 25L plastis så kör man doppvärmaren direkt i 25 liter färdigjäst ölmäsk och för över ångorna via tex en kopparspiral till en ny behållare, och sen är drickat starkt och klart för lagring :?:

hoppas att min okunskap inte e alltför stor :oops:

Blir mäsken och därmed drickat starkare med turbo?
I have some photos of my version at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/new_distillers/files/rkr/ in case you can't find a drawing of that 25 liters amazing still anywhere. You may have to register to see those.

The mash won't get any stronger with turbo yeast, rather it will have less aroma or even foul aroma.

- Riku
Skriv svar

Återgå till "Whiskey"